1. Photographs entered must be taken in Hoddesdon High Street. Entries must be in landscape orientation submitted as JPEGS with a maximum size of 1600px x 1200px.
We will only accept JPEGS uploaded to our competition website, we will not accept hard copies sent through the post.
2. Entrants can submit up to three photographs per category.
3. No drone photography allowed.
4. Love Hoddesdon is aware that digital photography does allow for some image enhancement. You can enter images that have had spots, scratches or other blemishes removed, crop your image and make basic adjustments.
We will not accept composite images - entries that stitch two or more separate photographs together to make one image, or entries that superimpose elements photographed separately onto an image.
We want you to stay faithful to the spirit of the competition and not misrepresent the aspect of the High Street being portrayed. Love Hoddesdon and the judges reserve the right to exclude any image they believe may have been excessively treated so as to alter its authenticity.
5. The competition is open to residents of Broxbourne, excluding the Directors of Love Hoddesdon BID (Business Improvement District).
6. Entrants must not be professional photographers. For the purposes of this competition, a professional photographer will be considered to be someone who makes more than half their annual income from the sale of their photographs.
7. Entrants must complete all sections of the online form. Online entrants under the age of 18 will need their parents or guardians to fill out the sections asking for their parent’s name, phone number and email address and to tick the box giving permission for their child’s participation. All contact from Love Hoddesdon will be made through the parent/guardian.
8. Love Hoddesdon cannot accept any responsibility for any problem with the internet service provider, network or other system which may result in any entry being delayed or not properly registered.
Unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted and no feedback on any entry will be provided.
9. All photographs will be judged on the following criteria:
Works to the theme
Suitability for inclusion in a Love Hoddesdon High Street calendar
10. RULES FOR UNDER 18 Age Group
PLEASE BE SURE TO READ ALL THE GENERAL RULES FOR THE COMPETITION BUT ALSO NOTE:
A: A parent or guardian must submit entries on behalf of their child or ward (the entrant).
B: Entries must be the entrant’s own work. Parents/guardians can advise but entries must be the entrant’s own photographs.
C: Age at time of entering
D: As a parent/guardian, you are consenting that the entrant’s name and entry can be shared on the organiser’s platforms in press and other media including publishing on the Love Hoddesdon website as well as Love Hoddesdon social media sites and magazine.
11. The photographs will be judged through the following process:
All entries will be assessed by three judges, two from Love Hoddesdon Board and one qualified photographic judge and a shortlist of 12 images will be selected.
The shortlisted photographs will be displayed in Hoddesdon Library, where a public vote will decide the overall winner.
Each of the shortlisted entrants will be contacted by Love Hoddesdon team within one week of entries closing.
Details of how the public can vote, and the rules of the voting, will be published on the Love Hoddesdon website.
12. A winner of each category, chosen by the judges, will win a gift card to the value of £50.
The overall winner, chosen by public vote, will win a gift card to the value of £100, and one year’s membership of the Hoddesdon Camera Club.
The prize is as stated and cannot be deferred or transferred. There will be no cash alternative.
13. The finalists’ photographs will be displayed in the Hoddesdon Library and be reproduced in the Love Hoddesdon Calendar 2023.
The finalists’ photos may also be published in Love Hoddesdon magazine and on their social media platforms and used in other promotions of the competition.
14. In the event of a technical problem or evidence of impropriety with regard to the public vote, the judges shall have the final decision. If the viewers' vote results in a tie, the judges shall have the casting vote. The judges' decisions will be final and no correspondence can be entered into.
15. All entries must be the original work of the entrant.
16. Entrants will retain copyright in the photographs that they submit to Love Hoddesdon. By entering the competition all entrants (or, if relevant, their parent/guardian) grant to Love Hoddesdon the right to publish and exhibit their photographs on social media pages and on the Love Hoddesdon website in perpetuity and the right to edit the photographs for this purpose.
Entrants whose photographs are one of the finalists or selected to appear in the Love Hoddesdon Calendar 2023 (or the parent/guardian of such entrants), grant to Love Hoddesdon the further rights to publish and exhibit their photographs in print, on their website or in any other media in perpetuity.
No fees will be payable for any of the above uses.
17. By entering, entrants (or their parent/guardian) will be deemed to have agreed to be bound by the rules of the competition. Love Hoddesdon reserves the right to exclude any entry from the competition if Love Hoddesdon has reason to believe that an entrant has breached the rules, acted fraudulently in any way or brings Love Hoddesdon into disrepute.
18. Love Hoddesdon reserves the right to cancel this competition or alter any of the rules at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion.
21. If the winner is unable to be contacted after reasonable attempts have been made, Love Hoddesdon reserves the right to either offer the prize to a runner up, or to re-offer the prize in any future competition.
25. Please take your photos responsibly with respect for the locality, the local community and businesses.